Locusts are the size of small birds. Seriously.
A locust flew into me today. I thought a small bird mistook my leg for a tree and flew into it. Well, actually, I thought that Phillip threw keys at me that were especially pointy, but actually he was pulling the locust out of my leg as it had become stuck. As Phillip pulled his hand away I noticed something fly away from my leg; I thought it was a bird until I was informed that it was a locust. Turns out locusts are of especially large proportions in Africa.
The power goes out, often.
It is a weekly occurrence for the power to go out. In theory it is just once a week for two hours, however it has gone out twice in the past two days and both times it has been over two hours. Auntie Nelly says that it only ever goes out once a week so perhaps it is in honour of the Muzungu that we have been powerless twice this week so I am able to say that I have truly lived as a Zambian. All I can say is that the best purchase I made before leaving home was a headlamp. . .seriously a brilliant purchase and I have used it every day!
Water is a luxury.
Living in Vancouver I have always been surrounded by water. . .from the ocean, or falling from the sky, but in Africa water is a whole different thing. I was asked when the rainy season was in Vancouver and they were surprised when I answered January – December as rain year round is unheard of.
Here we have buckets full of water on standby as often no water comes out of the taps and when it does it can be just a trickle. They shut water off here. . .sometimes a few hours, sometimes more. But we are lucky to have water most days, others cannot say the same.
Honk Honk Beep Beep.
If you stand outside the gate of your house you will get honked at. It isn’t just because I am a muzungu (although from the way some people crane their head out the windows to take a look at me, it can feel like it), but it is because that is how taxi drivers identify themselves and ask you if you want a ride.
You also honk when you pull up to the gate so the people inside know that you are there and they need to let you in. Unfortunately each person does not have a special honk so sometimes you go to let someone in your gate, but they are at your neighbour’s house.
Watch for holes and humps.
There are potholes in the streets that will swallow your car if you are not paying attention to where you are driving.
In order to slow speeders, the roads are full of “humps” (speed bumps); you’ll find them randomly on most streets, before railway crossings and anywhere pedestrians are likely to be crossing the street. The combination of humps and enormous potholes is like taking your car through a bouncy castle.
Driving isn’t for chickens.
Driving in Zambia is similar to a game of chicken, with the added bonus of having to watch for humps, potholes and people dashing across the street. In Zambia passing is a very common activity which leads to one car often being in the same lane as oncoming traffic only pulling back into the proper (left) lane moments before the two cars would collide. And if you notice a driver doing something stupid, you can honk at him and yell at him (in Bemba) then carry on your way while saying (in English) to the passengers in the car that “he must have gotten his licence in the night” when he couldn’t see anything or had to obey the rules of the road because people who know how to drive get their licences in the day.
The hospitality is unmatched.
The people here are so friendly and welcoming. Their smiles are genuine and they are truly happy to spend time with you.
If you have the opportunity to come here, take it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am grossed out by the locusts. Ewww!!!
ReplyDeletetenaya