Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

zambia 2011


Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.
~ Desmond Tutu


This past summer I spent three months volunteering at Grace Academy, a boarding school for children affected by HIV/AIDS in Ndola, Zambia. My time in Zambia was extremely rewarding and every day I was reminded how fortunate we are to live in North America. Many things we believe to be basic necessities of life, including electricity and hot water, are considered luxuries in Zambia.

Each day I spent at Grace Academy I was surrounded by children and overwhelmed by their constant outpouring of love and excitement for learning. I spent time with some incredible people, got to know them and hear their stories. It was heartbreaking to witness the people’s poverty and suffering, especially compared to the wealth we take for granted here at home.

In spite of the poverty, there is a prevailing joy and hope that emanates from the people; they are thankful for your friendship and company. They are eager to learn and thankful for the opportunities that come with expanding knowledge.

Of the 33 million people who have HIV/AIDS worldwide, 22 million live in Africa. With almost 1.1 million people infected with AIDS – most of them under 25 – Zambia is a country devastated by AIDS. Children have been especially affected by the AIDS epidemic and the country is full of orphans. In 2007, 600,000 children had been abandoned, either because of the stigma of the disease or because their families were too poor to care for them.

I have been asked by Seeds of Hope to go back to Zambia in January 2011 to continue my work with Zambia’s future, the children. I also hope to work with the adults affected by HIV/AIDS and start some community development projects in the Ndola area. As this is a volunteer position, I need to raise my own financial support and would appreciate your assistance. To donate online, please visit www.seedsofhopecm.com/donate.html and in the description write “Elizabeth Kroeker.” Alternatively, you are able to contribute by cheque or direct deposit (one time, or monthly). All donations will be issued a tax receipt.

If you would like more information on my trip to Zambia, Grace Academy, or Seeds of Hope, please feel free to contact me via email at kroeker.elizabeth@gmail.com.

I am excited about this opportunity and hope that I can count on your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment