Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

little monkeys

Last week my Dad sent me this picture of this bumper sticker:


I thought it was pretty funny as it highlights one of the cultural differences between Canadians and Zambians.  We often call kids little monkeys or refer to being silly as monkeying around, but in Zambia you would never hear a Zambian call his or her child a monkey as it is a huge insult.

When I told my Zambian friends that calling a child a little monkey was not an insult, they could not believe me.  One day one of my facebook friends posted about her child being a monkey so I showed the post to some Zambians who were so surprised at the comment and wondered why the mother did not like her child (because if you liked someone, you would never insult them by calling him or her an animal!).

While we think monkeys are cute little creatures and calling a child a monkey is not an insult, Zambians completely disagree and are likely to pop you one if you call their child a monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment