Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

birthday traditions

There is a birthday tradition here in Zambia called "splashing.". If it is your birthday, you get splashed. And by splashing I mean sitting in the splash zone at Sea World when Shamu belly flops; none of you stays dry.

Often the kids wait until the end of the day...just long enough for you to think that you will escape unscathed, but then someone distracts you and the ambush starts and in seconds you are soaked.

So if you visit, and it is your birthday, keep your birthday a secret or bring a change of clothes.


*Sorry there are no pictures today. I am writing this on my Blackberry (still no internet at Grace and last time I used my laptop in an internet cafe it was hacked) and I cannot figure out how to upload photos from my phone.

3 comments:

  1. It's just good to read a new entry and learn a little more about Zambian life. Thanks for this.
    love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized how lucky I was. They just sang 'Happy Birthday' to me at the end of Chapel last summer and added the 2nd verse "How old are you now?...." No splashing!......Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also heard about the"Splashings".
    It even needs to be ice cold water :/

    Well I got through my day all dry.
    *dancing happy dance*

    ReplyDelete