Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

dare you to move

This evening I was washing dishes while listening to music and reflecting on my day. Switchfoot's Dare You To Move was playing and I thought the lyrics especially fitting.

I spent time today in one of the local compounds.  It is one of my favourite places to visit because of the children.  As soon as the kids see the motor car on the dirt road, their faces light up as they run to greet Auntie Lizzie.  It never fails to warm my heart and bring a smile to my face.  It is impossible not to love these children.

This morning was different from most of my visits as we went for a walk to the market.  We walked along singing songs and attracting attention from surprised residents as it is not very common to see a muzungu walking through the compounds with over 20 children in tow.

One little boy started off walking and fairly soon into our walk ran up to me, rubbed my arm and looked up at me with his big brown eyes asking to be carried.  Of course I could not resist.  His feet were bare and he is tiny so his added weight was not much at all.  Later he fell asleep in my arms.  He was so tired that even when I shifted his position he never woke up, but just snuggled in closer.  It melted my heart and I remembered when I visited on Friday he told me his stomach was paining and when asked why he said it was because he was hungry and I wondered how often he went to sleep hungry without knowing when he would eat his next meal.

How is it that some of us have so much and others have so little?

How is it that those with much are not satisfied with what they have and are always striving for more?  And why are they so often reluctant to share with others?

I wish you could meet these children.  I think it would change your perspective.


I dare you to move
I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor
I dare you to move
I dare you to move
Like today never happened
Today never happened before

Maybe redemption has stories to tell
Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell
Where can you run to escape from yourself?
Where you gonna go?
Where you gonna go?
Salvation is here

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the challenge! (and again, awesome post-well written and cute pic!)

    ReplyDelete