Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

plans shmlans

The best laid plans often mean nothing here. It isn’t that things don’t happen, it is just that they probably won’t happen in your time frame.

Being from Vancouver, I am used to things generally happening on time. Of course there are delays, but often not delays of hours and hours. Time is much more fluid here; if you say you are going to meet someone at 9:00 am, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you are going to meet at 9:00 am, but it could mean that you will meet sometime between 9:00 and 9:59 am. . .maybe.  It could also mean that you will just meet the person in the morning, or sometime that day.

I would like to say that after living in Zambia for three months last year and 7.5 months this year that I would be used to it and the complete lack of regard for time, schedule and plans did not phase me in the least, but it does. I cannot help it. I think it is rude to tell someone you will meet them at 10:00 am and then not show up until 1:30 pm, but here they are not being rude and it is not intended to be a slight.

Anyway, for most of the past week my plans for the day have not happened as scheduled and today was no exception. I had planned to go out in the morning to buy supplies for the feeding program, but did not manage to leave until mid-afternoon.

I am sure that this is all a lesson in patience because really it did not matter that our plans were delayed by a few hours because everything had fallen into place by the end of the day.

Getting ready to offload the truck.

Being greeted by some of my favourite children.

Seeing the smiles on their faces made the day so much better and I didn't care that we were way later than expected because at least we made it and I was able to say hello to my sweet little friends.



On our way home.  As usual I make a funny face and Philip just shakes his head and laughs at me.

2 comments: