Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

fake-out twix bars

I am very excited about the newest addition to my kitchen. She came all the way from Thailand and I think she is fantastic!


She came with an instruction and recipe book, but my Thai is terrible so I have no idea what the books say.  Oh well, I managed to put her together and use her without any difficulties.

The first recipe I made using my new mixer is fake-out twix bars.  I found the recipe here on a great website called smashed peas and carrots. I have made a few recipes from this site and so far everything has been fantastic, plus the recipes all are super easy to follow with step by step instructions and pictures.

Ingredients
Cookie layer
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Caramel layer
3/4 cup butter
3/8 cup white sugar
3 tbsp light corn syrup (or cane syrup)
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
Chocolate layer
1 cup milk chocolate chips (or one chocolate bar)

Cookie layer
Cream butter and sugar.  Slowly add flour to make a crumbly dough.  Press dough into an 8 x 8 greased pan (or use parchment paper).  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.

Put the pan in the fridge to let it cool.

Caramel layer
In a large saucepan, combine butter, sugar, condensed milk, and syrup over medium-high heat.  Stir constantly.  Do not walk away from the pan to answer the phone or try on your new dress or do anything but stir otherwise you will burn the caramel on the bottom of the pan.

Once mixture has reached a boil, continue stirring constantly for 7 minutes.  The caramel mixture will thicken and darken in colour.

Pour over cooled base and let set in the fridge for 30 minutes before placing in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours to harden completely.

Chocolate layer
In a small saucepan (or microwave if you prefer), melt the chocolate and stir until smooth* then spread over caramel layer.  Let set in fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour then enjoy!
* If the chocolate is not as smooth as you would like, add a very small amount of oil to the chocolate and mix it well.  The oil will create a smoother consistency and the chocolate will spread easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment